Communication is not really a "step," but it is one of the most important things. In the Hip Hop Hunger event, it was my fault that for the longest time I didn't know that my school's portable stage wasn't stable enough for rapping and dancing, so I found that out with only a week before the event will happen. As I write this (I'm writing this on Friday, Feb 22) I'm wondering if someone will be able to donate a portable stage on Wednesday. Other than this, things have ran smoothly because of early communication.

If this is your first event you're planning, you should probably talk with some people you know who have event experience and ask them if they can give you advice. My friends who are in a rock band called Supersonia have had many successful events, about two per year from sophomore year to senior year. Before I planned the Hip Hop Hunger Event I sat down with one of them at a coffee shop and took notes about how to plan an event. So if you know someone at your school who's done something remotely similar to what you are planning, then talk with them.

Forms of Communication

The type of communication you have with people will depend on your event and your goals. In the Hip Hop Hunger event, it was my goal to get some big name acts at it, and I used email with them. It doesn't hurt to ask especially if it's for charity. It doesn't hurt to have at least that small connection with someone in which you invited them to come but they couldn't make it. If the event is for-profit (as opposed to for-charity) you will have to figure out your budget because then it is likely you would pay the artists. (If the event is not some sort of fundraiser or charity event and you want to do it at school, you might have to pay the school or venue.) I also contacted people at my school, and when I talked to them, I just spoke and exchanged phone numbers.

Also it's good to figure out what is the best way of communication for the artist/event-crew-person. If you're using email and you have their phone number, and it takes awhile for them to respond, then try calling! Also if you get stuck in a game of phone tag or if the other person prefers email, then email is a good choice. The best way of course, is to speak face-to-face, and if that's an option it's good to do it at least twice before the event.

Tone and Attitude

Here is a good article about writing effective emails: CD Baby on Writing Good Emails. In whatever way you contact someone, your attitude should be that you are requesting and not forcing anything on someone. Also, if someone agrees to help you, even if it's their job, you should approach them with the attitude that they are doing something extra for you. Your heart should be thankful and if you are, they will remember that.

Other posts in this series:
Introduction to Series
Step 1 - Brainstorm and Timeline
Step 2 - Communication
Tips - Resources for Promotion

1 Comment:

  1. Niiyara said...
    it's so cool what your doing and dedicating so much time to raising money for charity! Its much more inventive and fun than rattling collection boxes.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home